Karpooravalli Tambuli | Doddapatra Tambuli recipe A simple no-cook summer special recipe made using ajwain leaves, omavalli leaves, karpooravalli leaves. Tambuli Recipe with step-by-step guide.
Doddapatra Tambuli | Karpooravalli thayir pachadi is a Karnataka dish. I learned this recipe from my friend Meera, who shared a lot of recipes with me. Many of them I posted in Jeyashris’s kitchen as well. When she told me this recipe I was a bit skeptical as to how it will taste. I thought it will have a strong flavour of Karpooravalli leaves. But to my surprise, it was too good and I didn’t get any strong smell of the leaves.
Tambuli is a popular one in Udipi cuisine, a no onion no garlic gravy. This is usually made in Summer and served with hot rice. It cools down the body and is a perfect one to beat the heat.
We are using coconut oil in this recipe as it enhances the flavour. Except for the roasting of a few ingredients, we are not boiling the gravy. Pepper adds spiciness to the Tambuli. Also, we are tempering mor milagai | curd chili in this Tambuli. Though we can use red chili, mor milagai enhances the taste and flavor. If you have that in hand, please use mor milagai.
We are using ajwain leaves, omavalli leaves in this recipe. We can make Tambuli with any leafy vegetables like methi, spinach, curry leaves, coriander leaves, Brahmi leaves, beetroot leaves, tomato, and ginger too.
KARPOORAVALLI TAMBULI RECIPE
A SIMPLE AND EASY NO COOK, KARNATAKA STYLE YOGURT BASED GRAVY
Course Lunch, Main Course
Cuisine South Indian
Keyword karnataka recipes, South indian gravy, South Indian lunch recipes
Prep Time 10 minutes
Cook Time 2 minutes
Total Time 12 minutes
- 1 cup medium thick buttermilk
- Salt as needed
- ¼ tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp coconut oil
- ½ tsp mustard seeds
- ½ tsp cumin seeds
- 4-5 curd chili | mor milagai
- 2 pinches asafoetida
To roast and grind
- 1 tsp oil
- 10 karpooravalli leaves | ajwain leaves
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 green chili optional
- 1 tbsp coconut
- In a pan add 1 tsp of coconut oil and add the cumin seeds, pepper and green chili.
- Wash and add the karpooravalli leaves.
- Saute till the leaves shrink a little bit.
- Switch off the flame and transfer this to a mixie jar.
- Add 1 tbsp of coconut to this.
- Grind this into a smooth paste.
- Take 1 cup of medium thick butter milk in a bowl.
- I took ½ cup of thick curd, churned it and add ¾ cup of water.
- Add salt and turmeric powder.
- Add the ground paste to this.
- Mix well.
- In a pan add the coconut oil and add the mustard seeds, cumin seeds and mor milagai.
- Once the mustard splutters switch off the flame.
- Add this tempering to the Tambuli.